The Discardless DMS toolbox (Discard Mitigation Strategies ToolBox) aims to gather , synthetize and disseminate the knowledge produced by the DiscardLess project in a single repository freely accessible online. The preliminary version of the ToolBox contains already two operational modules.
- The first tool created under the cover of the DiscardLess DMS toolbox is an online atlas, linking and mapping discard data from STECF, ICES and GFCM for selected European fisheries in a synthetic manner.
- The second tool is a catalogue of selective gears. This catalogue is composed of a generic manual describing the selective properties of the various components of a trawl, together with factsheets of numerous existing gear modifications tested in European fisheries to avoid unwanted bycatches.
- Fisheries stakeholders from Ireland, Denmark, Spain - the Balearics, France - Eastern Channel, Greece - North Aegean Sea , and Portugal - Azores were interviewed. They include whitefish and pelagic trawlers (both single and twin rig trawlers), prawn trawlers and seine netters. It also includes small scale fishers using gill and trammel nets and bottom deep-water longlines and handlines. The semi-structured interviews addressed a range of issues relating to the fishermen’s responses to the Landing Obligation regulations. Solutions proposed by fishermen were separated into technical (gear changes), tactical (fishing behaviour changes) and management. The responses and synthesis by question theme are given inside this new DMS module.
- This report provides an overview of the work that has been done in task 5.4 in the DiscardLess project. The aim of that work has been to take suggested solutions from previous tasks in the work package on on-board handling of unwanted, unavoidable catches for four different fleet segments and present those solutions in 3D drawings, accompanied with a simple cost-benefit tool that allows stakeholders to estimate the economic feasibility of investing in the suggested solutions. The fleet segments selected represent a descriptive cross-section of European fisheries in terms of fleet composition and main challenges i.e. 11-meter coastal vessel, 23-meter Danish seiner/trawler, 39-meter bottom trawler and 50-meter bottom trawler.
- This module deals with how unavoidable, unwanted catches (UUC) could be utilised once they are landed as a consequence of the landing obligation. An extensive review of most suitable uses of UUC has been performed, based on bibliographic results, current experiences and works performed by DiscardLess partners (Report). The module provide a broad range of possibilities to valorise fish and fish compounds. Individual factsheets have been established for more than 30 different valorisations processes, including aspects related with the infrastructure needs, market and economic perpectives and regulatory constraints (Valorisation option).
Future DMS outcomes produced by the project will be disseminated in a similar way as much as possible.